CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Open House

 
Tonight, I survived Kindergarten open house. I've been anticipating this open house with mixed emotions of excitement and dread. Mostly, I just can't comprehend how my little guy is old enough, and more than ready to attend school full time. But on the other hand, I'm excited for Graham. I have clear memories of my own Kindergarten experience-my teacher, my friends, the holiday parties, and I'm excited for Graham to experience these things.
 
 I love how Graham marched into school tonight clutching his bag of school supplies like he owned the place. I love how Graham insisted on wearing a broken Mickey Mouse watch because "that's what the big kids do", despite the fact that he has no idea how to tell time. I love the fact that Graham insisted that he wear his hair spikey with gel because "that's what Daddy does". I love how confident he is!
 
 Walking into Graham's classroom was a SHOCK. Graham is attending a Spanish Immersion school and yes, even the open house was completely in Spanish. Graham went completely silent and got wide eyed as he studied his teacher and tried to figure out what she was saying. I whispered over and over to him that it was ok to not understand her, and that with time, he would learn. Kindergarten is a big adjustment and Kindergarten in another language is a HUGE adjustment. Not just for Graham, but for his Mama too!
 

 

This is exactly how I'll remember Graham at this stage of life...dressed up in a costume. In this case, he was all dressed up to play 'Memory' with me.

2 comments:

Jim Olson said...

Go for it Graham. A second language is a wonderful gift from your parents!!

Kris Greer said...

Oh Graham-Graham, when did you get so big? You'll love Kindergarten and learning a new language. We love you so much! I'll be waiting for you with your mommy as you get off the school bus on Wednesday! :)
Love,
Grandma