CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Adoption Talk

I don't really talk about adoption very often on this blog anymore. The truth is, although I think about two brave birth mothers on a daily basis, thoughts of how our family was formed don't fill my days. My kids are my kids no matter how they came to us so we tend to just go on with our business. I'm sure as they grow older and their understanding of adoption develops, we'll have conversations more often. I choose to let the kids take the lead, and right now, they're making it pretty clear that coloring, blocks, and playing outside are much more important to them than whether they grew under my heart or in it.

This morning though, completely out of the blue, Graham initiated an adoption conversation. Not with me, but with Amelia! Graham asked Amelia if she knew what "dopted" meant and she shook her head no (her response to nearly everything these days). He went on to explain to her that they both rode on a big airplane to come home. Then, Graham looked at me and asked me if I knew what "dopted" meant and I said yes. Graham got all excited and told me that he wanted to explain it to me. I fully expected to hear a story about an airplane but instead he looked straight at me and said "Dopted means that we get to be with Mommy and Daddy forever!" I choked up with his words, gave him a hug and confirmed out loud that, Yes, Graham and Amelia, adoption means that we get to be together FOREVER! :)

So, there you have it. A three year old's take on adoption. Sweet, simple, and very much the truth!

Playing together just before our conversation this morning. When the word "adoption" came up, I realized I needed to pay attention and put the camera down. These two really are inseperable lately. They'd much rather play together than alone. I LOVE it!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

How unbelievably true. It's amazing how young kids have such awesome perspective. Thanks for sharing! (I'll be in touch soon about setting up a playdate...)

My Mom Buck said...

No fair-I am at work and that post didn't display a warning...who's crying now?!!

Jim Olson said...

What a sweet (and insightful) comment from Graham. While they traveled to Minnesota on an airplane, they really traveled on the wings of the angels.

Halmoni & Haraboji